t

Thursday, October 20, 2005

The fat, The ObEsE & The OVERWEIGHT

Now there is a big question that nags me whenever I see a fat person in varying sizes...Why do people become so huge? How did they let that happen?

Is it heriditary or caused due to obsession for food?

If it is heriditary, it would be acceptable to an extent but if it is the second reason, then it is unforgivable...I see school going kids, more and more getting obese or overweight...It is so surprising that even their parents are so blind to their own deeds, taking Children to fast food joints too often and making them get used to the unhealthy foods. This was a common sight to me when I was in the US but Indians doing the same in this decade is highly bothering me.
Now why should other people becoming fat affect me?

Overeating individuals do atleast one of the following :-

1. Deprives atleast a single human from having a decent meal in any given day.

2. Inflicts sorrow onto themselves - they buy diseases which are caused mainly due to overeating; they spoil their image and give themselves less chances of opportunities(A recent survey on Employers said that most preferred a good looking individual as opposed to any extremes.)

3. Becomes unwelcome due to their overweight at most of the places - be it in the queue, or the bus or the train.

I feel there is a need, an absolute need to take care of one's health and stay slim and fit. This way we reduce all the above 3 things...we are accountable to our own health and also to the world at large. There is a phase when we start realizing that we are getting bigger and if only we take due corrective and preventive measures at that crucial time to get back to normal weight it would be a desirable thing to do. But what normally happens (based on my observation) is we dont take measures whatsoever and even if we do, we don't practice them religiously even when our figure is at stage!

However, there are exceptions to the 3rd point above. Adnan Sami, for instance...is so huge but still he is welcome everywhere which is because of his innate talents...there was my ex-colleague named Milene Thrasher, who lived up to her name, and was so fat to thrash our then project manager but was always a happy & cheerful person who made witty jokes everytime...and hence welcome anytime, anywhere. Oh but I still remember the way she used to squeeze into her SUV's driver's seat...one pitiable scene!

So, the point I want to drive home is this - We need to take care of our health before it is too late; We need to control our taste buds in order to have a healthy life so that we enjoy eating whatever we want and eat them lifelong. The bottom line is a healthy body is a sign of a healthy mind and vice-versa.

And I hear one of my friend saying that she has become healthy, time and again which means she has become plumpy and fat! Isn't it the vice versa?

2 Comments:

Blogger shitij said...

your blog is nice, its well written .................refreshing.......you are cent percent right, but my friend , please relate overeating to mental problems ..people today are so alone that whatever respite they do get is in eating, belive me i have myself experienced this thing...wat happens is that there is so much pressure in every field of life that the only thing that looks our own is----food.Its more of physiological than physical.

but u r right one needs to ring the alarm before its too late.

1:50 AM, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do occasionally search the web for my name. Interesting to find it associated with your BLOG “The fat, the obese & the overweight”. I guess I should be relieved that I’m welcomed anytime, anywhere. But really, was the SUV comment necessary.

Since I have consulted all over the US and Germany, I don’t know who you are. I imagine we probably crossed paths in Northern Virginia. You probably met me in the mid to late 1990’s. If this is correct, I’m about 100 lbs lighter now. I’m still overweight, but much lighter. My personality would not fit well is a small box.

I’ve been a “person of size” all my life. I’ve endured stares, snickers and outright discrimination all my life. I’ve been successful despite my weight. When I was in my twenties, I chose not to let it hold me back. I could look in the mirror and see a beautiful intelligent woman and if others only saw a fat person then that was their problem and their loss.

Milene Thrasher – Still Fat and Fabulous

4:53 PM, April 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to join TowardsVeganism
Click to join TowardsVeganism