t

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sleepless in South...

Moving to South is an eventuality that awaits me given the nature of my aspirations and the environment that I long to have for myself and my family apart from the fact that I hail from TamilNadu...but I have come to realize that it comes with a price attached to it as well...

One such recent trip has confirmed that part of the bargain would be to get up early, like it or not...what came in as a blessing during my school days is not so much welcome to me suddenly! My mom promptly used to keep an alarm at 3 and wake us (myself and my brother) up during the pre-exam and exam days, give us a cuppa of steaming chai and let us study...even though I am a morning person, that was way too much and I used to doze off nicely but for the sudden checks that my sadist brother used to have on me opening my study stealthily to see if I am awake and studying...later by 4 am, I used to get the steady company of the loudspeakers with all top singers crooning to their favorite Gods and Goddesses based on the time of the year...

But now, when you are a working professional, you are so used to sleeping late and waking late, and I for one, want to sleep atleast till 6 so that I can function normally without any irritation the next day. But come to reality and you find that there are so many people ready to blare the loudspeaker first thing at 5 am in the morning and assure you are sleep deprived...I was in the hotel room and sat up right hearing the sudden increase of decibel :). First came MS with her divine recitation of Suprabhatam followed by Mahishasuramardini stotram by Sulamangalam sisters, then Unnikrishnan's Bharathiyar renditions...While this was happening, there were several other noises in the backdrop that finally got submerged in the hum of city life, and by then it was 6.20 and I knew I cannot go back and sleep like a baby :(

In spite of the Supreme Court giving strict orders on noise pollution, banning usage of loudspeakers between 10-6, no one seem to take this seriously here! After all, rules are meant to be broken!

This is a hard truth that set in me but assuming I want to do something worthy in my life, making use of that additional hour can be a boon...so here I am welcoming the sounds and shlokas in my life to make me 'what I am meant to be...!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to join TowardsVeganism
Click to join TowardsVeganism